Tuition for Summer Workshops 2023
This year most workshops are two weeks in length, and one is one week long. As much as we aim to keep costs reasonable, inflation has necessitated a modest increase in workshop costs. Two-week workshops cost $1800.00. and the one-week programs are $900.00. Should you wish to stay on campus during your class, we have tent camping and RV camping available, along with camping structures, a classic Airstream trailer, a nicely furnished tipi, and a private cabin with a private bath.
Please see the page on Accommodations for details and how to book a spot.
Materials costs for classes at the school:
- Wrought iron, alloy steel, and tool steels for the regular blacksmithing classes will be priced at four dollars per pound for finished work. There is no charge for cutoffs and work that was unsuccessful.
- The Damascus class involves specialty steels that will be charged at actual cost for the amount used by each student.
- Some classes will have a modest charge for abrasives based on actual use.
The object in assessing materials fees this way is to present a real-world example of what fuel, iron, steel, and abrasives actually cost and encourage thoughtful use of materials.
Tuition is paid in full at the time of registration.
Materials costs are paid at the end of class.
Accommodation fees are paid upon reservation.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If a student must cancel their commitment to take a class prior to the six-week cutoff date, full tuition will be refunded minus a $100.00 cancellation fee. Should a cancellation be sought less than six weeks prior to the scheduled class, the school will not be obligated to refund the tuition. The only exceptions will be in the event another student on the waiting list can fill the class on short notice, or that an illness or death in the family of the registrant is the cause of the cancellation. In these cases, the $100.00 cancellation fee will still apply.
The School aims for six students in each workshop. Should the class not fill to that capacity, the School may, at its discretion, choose to cancel the class. Any decisions for cancellation will be made six weeks prior to the scheduled class, and of course would result in a full refund. Every effort will be made to run every class, however an enrollment of fewer than four students is not viable.
What to do if you want to take a class at the New Agrarian School
1. Choose the course in which you are interested.
2. Apply for admission with the simple online form, which includes a request for reserving a shared room accommodation. Students will be accepted on a first come first served basis. You must apply before registering for a class so that the school can contact you to confirm that there is space in the class you have chosen. If you register before receiving confirmation and there is no space in the class, you will be refunded your tuition minus the paypal fee, which is not refundable.
3. The school will contact you to let you know whether there was space in the class and you are accepted within one week.
4. Upon acceptance you will receive a registration link. Complete the online Registration Form, which includes the the waiver and release form, and make payment online.
5. You will be informed when the School has received the completed Registration Form and payment, and receive more information on the class, as well as be informed as to whether there was a room available if you requested one. In 2022 there may not be rooms available for all students, however camping spaces will definitely be available.
6. If the class you request is full at the time of application, we’ll let you know immediately (if it was not already posted on the website) and put you on a waiting list if you are interested.
7. If you are applying within four weeks of the start of a scheduled class that is not full, and live within a 200-mile radius of the school, you may qualify for reduced tuition. Contact the School directly for this consideration.